why chlorine becomes
a health hazard
What is chlorine doing in my drinking water?
The primary way public water is made safe is through the use of chlorine. Chlorine disinfects the water and makes it suitable to drink by killing and neutralizing bacteria and microbes in the water that bring sickness and disease.
It’s interesting to note that this same chemical is used to manufacture bleach, paper products, plastics, and pesticides.
Ouch! and we’re drinking that?
The short answer is, “YES!”
This is probably why the U.S. Council of Environmental Quality concluded that the cancer risk to people who drink chlorinated water is 93 percent higher than those who don’t.
But that’s not the worst of it. When chlorine interacts with organic matter (such as soil or dead leaves), it forms new chemicals that are 100 times more toxic than the chlorine itself. These substances are called disinfection byproducts (DBPs). These stubborn and persistent chemicals create all kinds of potential health risks.
• DBP’s accumulate in your system at a rate greater than your body can detoxify them from your body.
• According to the Environmental Protection Agency, Americans ingest 300 to 600 times the amount of chlorine that is considered safe.
• Chlorine destroys acidophilus, the probiotic that helps build and maintain friendly bacteria in your colon.
• The National Cancer Institute linked the long term drinking of chlorinated water with increased risk of bladder and rectal cancer.
• Women in their first trimester of pregnancy who drink five or more glasses of chlorinated tap water a day are known to have a higher risk of miscarriage.
• A Norwegian study of over 140,000 births tracked for a three-year period found the risk of spina bifida increased 14% in the areas that used chlorinated water.
• Chlorine exposure to skin through bathing, washing dishes, and washing hands causes allergic symptoms like skin rashes, headaches, gastrointestinal problems, and arthritis.
• Chlorine destroys vitamin E, which is an essential vitamin that provides antioxidant protection for the body.
This list could go on for pages. But remember, your exposure to chlorine and its dangerous bedfellows, the DBPs, are not simply from the water you drink. When you shower or bathe in this water, your contact and exposure to its negative effects increases exponentially. In fact, you can absorb more chlorine and its associated DBPs in a 10-minute shower than you can by drinking eight full glasses of the same water. If you’re a swimmer and own a swimming pool, it has been proven that you can absorb more chlorine and DBPs in one hour in your pool than from a week of drinking tap water.
Are you getting the Picture?
You get harmful and ongoing exposure to the chemical Chlorine and its associated DBPs through
• Drinking the water
• Showering or bathing
• Washing your hands
• Rinsing your fruits and vegetables
• Washing your dishes
• Breathing the steam from your water
• Running a load of laundry
The very process used to keep us healthy has become the means to bringing us sickness and disease. HOW FRUSTRATING! But, there are answers and solutions to these problems. That’s why using a water refining/filtration system corrects the vast majority of these problems.